U bent hier

Making online appointment not possible

It is currently not possible to make an appointment online. You can call 050 367 7000 to make an appointment. From abroad call +31 50 367 7000.


Student registration or deregistration

If you are going to study in Groningen for longer than 4 months, you must register at the municipality. You will receive immediately your citizen service number (BSN) at our office. If you leave the Netherlands again, you must deregister.

Moving to the Netherlands


You can only visit office Groningen Centrum (Kreupelstraat 1) by appointment.

Please bring

  • A valid passport or identity card.

Please bring if relevant

  • A valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter from the IND).
  • If you have previously lived in the Netherlands: citizen service number (BSN), formerly known as 'social security number'.
  • A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten.

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

You will receive your citizen service number immediately at your appointment. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.

Moving within the Netherlands

When you change your address while you live in the Netherlands, you have to inform the municipality of your new address. 


Leave for more than 8 months

When you leave the Netherlands, you need to deregister with the municipality where you are registered as a citizen. You need to deregister yourself if you intend to stay in another country for a period of more than 8 months.

Leave for maximum 6 months and return to the same address

When you leave the Netherlands and return within 6 months to the same address, you can send us an e-mail with the details so we won’t deregister you.

  • Moving date
  • Personal information
  • Old and new address abroad
  • Names of the people that are moving with you
  • Telephone number
  • Signature
  • Copy of ID of the person who is changing the address

More information



Municipality of Groningen

See our contact information.


Immigratie- and Naturalisation Service (IND)
Zuiderzeelaan 43-51, Zwolle
+31 (0) 88 043 04 30,