If you are going to study in Groningen for longer than 4 months, you must register at the municipality. You will receive immediately your citizen service number (BSN) at our office. If you leave the Netherlands again, you must deregister.
Registration period in connection with corona
Did you have to cross an orange area for your trip? Then don't come by within the regular 5 days, but make an appointment after your 10 days home quarantine.
You can only visit office Groningen Centrum (Kreupelstraat 1) by appointment.
- A valid passport or identity card.
Please bring if relevant
- A valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter from the IND).
- If you have previously lived in the Netherlands: citizen service number (BSN), formerly known as 'social security number'.
- A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten.
Citizen Service Number (BSN)
You will receive your citizen service number immediately at your appointment. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.
When you change your address while you live in the Netherlands, you have to inform the municipality of your new address.
Leaving the Netherlands for more than 8 months
When you leave the Netherlands, you need to deregister with the municipality you are registered at. You need to deregister if you intend to stay in another country for for at least 8 out of the next 12 months. This does not necessarily have to be a consecutive period.
Leaving the Netherlands for less than 8 months
When you leave the Netherlands and intend to return to the same address in Groningen (this is the case when you have plans to return and do not end the lease on your house/room/apartment) within 8 months, you do not have to take any action. However, if you want someone else to handle your mail while you are abroad, you can apply for a temporary postal address.
When you leave the Netherlands and intend to return to the Netherlands within 8 months, but not to the same address, you have to apply for a temporary postal address until you return to the Netherlands. When you return, you have to notify your municipality about your new address within 5 days.
- government.nl - immigration
- ind.nl - moving from an EU-country to the Netherlands
- government.nl - when should I register with the Personal Records Database as a resident?
Municipality of Groningen
See our contact information.
Immigratie- and Naturalisation Service (IND)
Zuiderzeelaan 43-51, Zwolle
+31 (0) 88 043 04 30,