If you are going to study in Groningen for longer than 4 months, you must register at the municipality. You will receive immediately your citizen service number (BSN) at our office. If you leave the Netherlands again, you must deregister.
You can only visit office Groningen Centrum (Kreupelstraat 1) by appointment.
- A valid passport or identity card.
Please bring if relevant
- A valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter from the IND).
- If you have previously lived in the Netherlands: citizen service number (BSN), formerly known as 'social security number'.
- A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten.
Citizen Service Number (BSN)
You will receive your citizen service number immediately at your appointment. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.
When you change your address while you live in the Netherlands, you have to inform the municipality of your new address.
Leave for more than 8 months
When you leave the Netherlands, you need to deregister with the municipality where you are registered as a citizen. You need to deregister yourself if you intend to stay in another country for a period of more than 8 months.
Leave for maximum 6 months and return to the same address
When you leave the Netherlands and return within 6 months to the same address, you can send us an e-mail with the details so we won’t deregister you.
- Moving date
- Personal information
- Old and new address abroad
- Names of the people that are moving with you
- Telephone number
- Copy of ID of the person who is changing the address
- government.nl - immigration
- ind.nl - moving from an EU-country to the Netherlands
- government.nl - when should I register with the Personal Records Database as a resident?
Municipality of Groningen
See our contact information.
Immigratie- and Naturalisation Service (IND)
Zuiderzeelaan 43-51, Zwolle
+31 (0) 88 043 04 30,