Will you be abroad for more than 8 months in total during the next 12 months? Then notify the municipality of your move. This also applies if you return to your home country (deregister).

What you need to know

  • The day on which we receive your online notification, will be registered as your departure date. So notify us of your move on the day of departure.
  • It is not possible to notify us of your move in advance online.
  • If you are going to live in the Netherlands again within 8 months, you can request a postal address.

Already abroad?

Then report your departure to the municipality as soon as possible. The day on which we receive your notification is the departure date. It is not possible to backdate your move.

Report your move

You can only report a move abroad for yourself and family members who are living at the same address.

Will one or more family members remain at your home address? Then everyone who leaves must come to the counter, including minors.

To the counter

Make an appointmentexterne-link-icoon and bring a valid proof of identity.

Form without DigiD

Only complete this formexterne-link-icoon if you do not have a DigiD and cannot apply for a DigiD.

You can also report the move by post. This is possible at the earliest 4 weeks in advance and at the latest on the day of your departure.

Send a letter to: Gemeente Groningen, P.O. Box 30026, 9700 RM Groningen. Include the following information:

  • Official first en last name.
  • Date of birth.
  • Moving date.
  • Old and new address.
  • Telephone number.
  • Names and dates of birth of the people who are moving with you.
  • Copy of valid ID (passport, ID card or driver's license) of all moving persons.
  • Signature.

Good to know

  • After you report your move abroad you will be deregistered from the Personal Records Database (BRP) and registered in the Non-residents Records Database (RNI).
  • Leaving the Netherlands can have consequences for your rent benefit, possible student grants or future benefits and your taxes.
  • When you report your move abroad online, the confirmation email could end up in your spam folder. Look out for this. Approximately 3 days before your date of departure you can check if you have been deregistered at mijnoverheid.nlexterne-link-icoon.