Student registration or deregistration
- A valid passport or identity card.
- Rental or purchase contract.
Please bring if relevant
- A permission form (pdf 407 kB) if you do not have a rental or purchase contract.
- A valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter from the IND).
- If you have previously lived in the Netherlands: citizen service number (BSN).
- A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten.
Why do you need a Citizen Service Number (Dutch: BSN)
You will receive your citizen service number immediately at your appointment. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.
You leave the Netherlands for at least 8 months
You need to deregister if you intend to stay in another country for at least 8 out of the next 12 months. This does not necessarily have to be a consecutive period.
You return within 8 months
To the same address
You do not have to take any action. However, if you want someone else to handle your mail while you are abroad, you can apply for a temporary postal address.
To another address
You have to apply for a temporary postal address until you return to the Netherlands. When you return, you have to notify your municipality about your new address within 5 days.