Student registration or deregistration
Moving to the Netherlands
You can only visit office Groningen Centrum (Kreupelstraat 1) by appointment.
- A valid passport or identity card.
- Rental or purchase contract.
Please bring if relevant
- A permission form (pdf 53 kB) if you do not have a rental or purchase contract.
- A valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter from the IND).
- A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao or Sint Maarten.
Citizen Service Number (BSN)
You will receive your citizen service number immediately at your appointment. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.
Moving to or within the Netherlands
Leaving the Netherlands
Leaving the Netherlands for more than 8 months
When you leave the Netherlands, you need to deregister with the municipality you are registered at. You need to deregister if you intend to stay in another country for for at least 8 out of the next 12 months. This does not necessarily have to be a consecutive period.
Leaving the Netherlands for less than 8 months
When you leave the Netherlands and intend to return to the same address in Groningen (this is the case when you have plans to return and do not end the lease on your house/room/apartment) within 8 months, you do not have to take any action. However, if you want someone else to handle your mail while you are abroad, you can apply for a temporary postal address.
When you leave the Netherlands and intend to return to the Netherlands within 8 months, but not to the same address, you have to apply for a temporary postal address until you return to the Netherlands. When you return, you have to notify your municipality about your new address within 5 days.