Moving to the Netherlands

If you have arrived from abroad and will spend at least 4 out of the next 6 months in the Netherlands, you must register with the personal records Database (BRP) within 5 days after arrival.

Non-Residents Registration (RNI)

If you are staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months during the next 6 months, you will probably have to be registered in the Non-Residents Registration (RNI).


  • You have an address in Groningen and will spend at least 4 out of the next 6 months in the Netherlands;
  • Nationality:
    • You are Dutch or you are a national of another member of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland; or
    • you have another nationality and you have a valid residence permit or you have proof (sticker or letter) from the Immigration- and Naturalisation Service (IND) you have applied for one.

In some cases your foreign documents need to be legalized and translated.

Students from outside the EU/EEA can only apply for a residence permit in writing via their teaching institution. You can only register after showing your residence permit or a letter from the IND proving you have applied for one. In this case we will not give a letter of preregistration.

Knowledge migrants first apply for a residence permit at the IND. After you have received a sticker in your passport you can make an appointment for registration in the BRP (the personal records Database).

If you have previously been registered in the Netherlands, then you were issued with a Citizen Service Number (BSN), previously known as a ‘sofinummer’. This number will remain valid for your entire life. You can use this number to register with the municipality in which you reside. To do so, you must appear in person and present a valid proof of identification.

If something has changed regarding your marital status, nationality, or number of children while you were not registered in the Netherlands, then you must submit the relevant documents for registration in your personal records.


All foreigners who need to be registered must go to the counter in person. This also applies to children.

Please bring

  • Rental - or purchase agreement.
  • If you don’t have a rental agreement: Declaration residency  (pdf 97 kB) by the owner or one of the adult residents.
  • Copy of a valid ID of the person who gives permission.
  • A valid passport or identity card.
  • A birth certificate (if it hasn't been registered before).

Please bring if relevant

  • A valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter IND).
  • If you have previously lived in the Netherlands: Citizen service number (BSN), formerly known as 'social security number'.
  • Foreign marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnerschip, divorce certificate, divorce decree, death certificate partner, birth certificate child, another nationality: if you have not already shown this for the BRP.
  • A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten.


  • You can only visit counter Groningen Centrum (Kreupelstraat 1) by appointment.
  • Are you coming with several people? Then you can indicate the number of people when making the appointment.

Make an appointment >externe-link-icoon

Citizen Service Number (BSN)

You will receive your citizen service number at the office. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.

More information

Contact IND

Immigratie- and Naturalisation Service (IND)
Zuiderzeelaan 43-51, Zwolle
+31 (0) 88 043 04 30, ind.nlexterne-link-icoon