Registration non-resident (RNI)

Non-residents are people who do not live in the Netherlands or people who reside in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. You must register to get a citizen service number (BSN). The citizen service number is essential for everyone dealing with the Dutch government.

What you need to know

There are 2 ways to register, depending on how long you will stay.

Less than 4 months

Register as a non resident at the municipality of Groningen or at 18 other RNI-municipalitiesexterne-link-icoon.

More than 4 months

Register as an immigrant at the municipality of Groningen.

If you are visiting the Netherlands to work or study, you will need a citizen service number (called Burgerservicenummer - BSN). You will be issued this number when you register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen).

You will need a BSN as an employee, in education, health care. You will also need it for taxes and other matters concerning the Dutch government.

Do you want to register more than 16 people? Please contactexterne-link-icoon us.

Register for RNI

The registration consists of 3 steps.

1. Fill in web form

After completing the form you will receive a QR code. Please take this with you to the counter.

Registration webform RNIexterne-link-icoon

2. Appointment

Make an appointmentexterne-link-icoon

3. Take to counter

  • Valid passport or ID card.
  • QR code that you received after completing the form.
Bring extra for up to 16 years
  • Original birth certificate, drawn up in Dutch, English, French or German. If the deed is in another language, a translation is required. Legalizationexterne-link-icoon may also be required.
  • In addition to the minor, at least one parent must also be present at the time of registration.

Inform about change of address

You are required to inform us about your change of address abroad.

How does it work

  1. Print the modification form, fill it out en sign it.
  2. Make a photo or scan of the completed form.
  3. Send the file and a copy of your passport using our contact formexterne-link-icoon.