Non-residents are people who do not live in the Netherlands or people who reside in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. You must register to get a citizen service number (BSN). The citizen service number is essential for everyone who has dealings with the Dutch government.
Will you stay 4 months or longer in the Netherlands? Then this will be considered as immigration.
- Make an appointment for 1 person
- Make an appointment for 2 - 7 persons
- Make an appointment for 8 - 15 persons
- Make an appointment for 16+ persons
- Digitally filled out and printed registration form (pdf 1 MB)
- A valid identification document.
In Groningen you can also come by without an appointment to register or to submit a change of address.
- Office Groningen: Kreupelstraat 1, 9712 HW Groningen
By appointment: Monday 13:00 - 17:00, Tuesday to Friday 09:00 - 17:00 (Thursday until 19:00)
Without appointment: Tuesday to Friday 09:00 - 11:00
- Office Eemshaven: Schildweg 16, 9979 XR Eemshaven
Only by appointment: Monday and Thursday: 09.00 - 12.00
You are required to inform us about your change of address abroad.
How does it work
- Print one of the modification forms below, fill it out en sign it.
- Make a photo or scan of the completed form.
- Send the file and a copy of your passport via our contact form (Dutch).
If you are visiting the Netherlands to work or study, you will need a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer - BSN). You will be issued this number when you register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen). You will need a BSN as an employee, in education, health care. You will also need it for taxes and other matters concerning the Dutch government.
There are 2 ways to register as a non-resident in The Netherlands, depending on your situation:
- Will you be staying in The Netherlands for less than four months? You have to register with municipality of Groningen (2 locations) or one of 17 other selected municipalities. These are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Zwolle.
- Will you be staying in The Netherlands for more than four months:? You have to register with the municipality where you live or where you are going to live.
- Registration when staying in the Netherlands for a short period (government.nl)
- Registering groups of employees by employers. Are you an employer who would like to register a group of more than 16 people? Please contact us at +31 - 50 - 367 7040.