U bent hier

Registration non-resident

Non-residents are people who do not live in the Netherlands or people  who reside in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. You must register to get a citizen service number (BSN). The citizen service number is essential for everyone who has dealings with the Dutch government.


Will you stay 4 months or longer in the Netherlands? Then this will be considered as immigration.

Signing up in Groningen

Indicate in the appointment under 'Amount' how many extra people you will come with.

If you come with more than 20 persons, make several appointments.

Please bring

  • Digitally filled out and printed registration form (pdf 1 MB)
  • A valid identification document.


In Groningen you can also come by without an appointment to register or to submit a change of address.

  • Office Loket Groningen Centrum: Kreupelstraat 1, Groningen
    (near Grote Markt Square)
    Check the opening hours.

Inform about change of address

You are required to inform us about your change of address abroad.

How does it work

  1. Print one of the modification forms below, fill it out en sign it.
  2. Make a photo or scan of the completed form.
  3. Send the file and a copy of your passport using our contact form (in Dutch).

Modification forms

What you should know

If you are visiting the Netherlands to work or study, you will need a citizen service number (called Burgerservicenummer - BSN). You will be issued this number when you register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen). You will need a BSN as an employee, in education, health care. You will also need it for taxes and other matters concerning the Dutch government.

There are 2 ways to register as a non-resident in The Netherlands, depending on your situation:

  • Will you be staying in The Netherlands for less than four months? You have to register with municipality of Groningen or one of 17 other selected municipalities. These are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven,  Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Zwolle.
  • Will you be staying in The Netherlands for more than four months:? You have to register with the municipality where you live or where you are going to live.

More information