The municipal elections for the Municipality of Groningen will be held on Wednesday 21 November 2018. You will receive your voting pass early November.
Due to municipal redivisions, 55 of the 388 municipalities in the Netherlands were unable to hold their elections simultaneously with the referendum on the new Dutch Intelligence and Security Services Act on 21 March 2018.
- Digital map of polling stations or list of polling station addresses (PDF, 247 kB)
- The polling stations will be open from 7.30 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Wednesday 21 November.
- Your nearest polling station is indicated on your voting pass, but you are allowed to vote at any polling station in the Municipality of Groningen, Haren and Ten Boer.
Mobile polling station
In addition to the fixed polling stations, a mobile polling station will be set up in the city of Groningen at the following locations and times:
- The Student Hotel, Boterdiep 9, from midnight to 1.30 a.m.
- Temporary office unit near the Central Station, Stationsplein, from 6.30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
A list of addresses of all polling stations in the Municipality will also be published in the Verkiezingskrant, which will be delivered to every address in Groningen, Haren and Ten Boer.
Every voter must identify themselves by presenting an ID that may have expired, but no more than 5 years ago. This means that your passport, national identity card or driving license must state ‘valid until 22 November 2013’ or a later date.
ID lost or stolen?
If you lose your ID, or if it is stolen, the polling station may verify your identity based on a photocopy of the lost item police report in combination with a document stating your name and photograph (such as a travel pass or library card).
If you have no ID, you can authorize someone to cast a proxy vote for you – see the information below.
If you are unable to come to a polling station yourself on Wednesday 21 November 2018, you can authorize someone to vote on your behalf.
Authorizing a voter from the Municipality of Groningen, including Haren and Ten Boer
- You can simply authorize another voter from Groningen, Haren or Ten Boer to vote on your behalf.
- To this end you should complete the authorization form on the reverse of your voting pass.
- You will receive your voting pass early November.
- Don’t forget to give your authorizee a photocopy of your ID.
- Your ID may be expired, but not since before 22 November 2013 (five years).
Authorizing someone to cast a proxy vote for you
- You can submit a written request to authorize another voter from Groningen, Haren or Ten Boer to cast a proxy vote for you.
- Both you and your authorizee must sign the request form.
- You must submit your written request to the Municipality no later than Friday 16 November 2018!
Proxy vote request form (PDF, 257 kB)
Thirteen political parties will participate in the municipal elections for the new Municipality of Groningen on 21 November 2018. Here are their candidate lists:
- D66 (pdf 113 kB)
- SP (pdf 101 kB)
- PvdA (pdf 101 kB)
- GroenLinks (pdf 95 kB)
- VVD (pdf 109 kB)
- Stadspartij voor Stad en Ommeland (pdf 37 kB)
- CDA (pdf 34 kB)
- ChristenUnie (pdf 22 kB)
- Student en Stad (pdf 37 kB)
- Partij voor de Dieren (pdf 17 kB)
- Sportpartij (pdf 23 kB)
- PVV (pdf 14 kB)
- 100% Groningen (pdf 29 kB)
The Municipality of Groningen will send you a voting pass by 7 November 2018 at the latest if you
- are registered in the Municipal Database at an address in Groningen, Haren or Ten Boer on 8 October 2018
- are 18 years or older on 21 November 2018
- have not been excluded from voting
- have Dutch nationality or the nationality of another member state of the European Union, or if you have another foreign nationality and have been legally residing in the Netherlands for five consecutive years and on 8 October 2018.
- You will receive your voting pass in early November.
- If you have not received a voting pass, or if you have lost your voting pass, you can request a new one.
You can visit one of the following municipal desks in person to request a new voting pass until Tuesday 20 November 2018, 12 noon:
- Groningen: Kreupelstraat 1, Kajuit 4 or Zuiderweg 70 / 2,
- Haren: Raadhuisplein 10
- Ten Boer: Hendrik Westerstraat 24.
Please note to bring your valid passport, ID card or driving license.
- You can also request a new voting pass in writing.
- The Municipality must have received your written request by Friday 16 November 2018 at the latest, as your voting pass still has to be sent to you by post. Note that the Municipality will not be able to guarantee that you will receive your new voting pass on time if you submit your request after this date!
Request form for new voting pass (PDF, 369 kB)
Please note to enclose a copy of your valid passport, ID card or driving license.
Which political party do you prefer?
Test your political preference on the basis of 28 statements on the StemWijzer (voting aid application).