U bent hier

Moving to the Netherlands

If you have arrived from abroad and will spend at least 4 out of the next 6 months in the Netherlands, you must register with the personal records Database (BRP) within 5 days after arrival.

Appointment and what to bring

All foreigners who need to be registered, including children, must go to the desk in person.

Please bring

  • A valid passport or identity card.
  • If relevant a valid residence permit or proof you have applied for one (sticker or letter IND).
  • A birth certificate if you have not already shown this for the BRP (the personal records Database).
  • If relevant: foreign marriage certificate, certificate of registered partnerschip, divorce certificate, divorce decree or death certificate partner, if you have not already shown this for the BRP.
  • A proof of deregistration with the PIVA if you are moving to the Netherlands from Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, Saba, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten.


Are you coming with several people? Then you can indicate the number of people when making the appointment.

What you need to know


  • You are Dutch or you are a national of another member of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA) or of Switzerland; or
  • You have another nationality and you have a valid residence permit or a proof (sticker or letter) from the Immigration- and Naturalisation Service (IND) you have applied for one; or
  • You have another nationality and have not yet applied for a residence permit. In this case, your registration will be provisional. After registration you will receive a letter of preregistration (BvB) for the IND. After you have applied for a residence permit the IND returns the BvB to us. Only then your registration will be final;
  • You have an address in Groningen and will spend at least four out of the next six months in the Netherlands;
  • You have to come in person to our desk, including children.

Legalisation of documents

Visit the website netherlandsandyou.nl to see how foreign documents should be legalised. In some countries you can apply for an international document. All documents that are not written in Dutch, English, French or German must be translated by a certified translator. Your documents will be checked for authenticity.


Students from outside the EU/EEA can only apply for a residence permit in writing via their teaching institution. You can only register after showing your residence permit or a letter from the IND proving you have applied for one. In this case we will not give a letter of preregistration.

Knowledge migrants

Knowledge migrants first apply for a residence permit at the IND. After you have received a sticker in your passport you can make an appointment for registration in the BRP (the personal records Database).

Copy of your record

Once you have been registered as a resident in the BRP, you will be sent an overview of your personal details within four weeks. We call this the personal list (persoonslijst). Please check the details and contact us if there is an error.

Social security number (bsn)

You will receive your citizen service number (bsn) at the desk. You will need this personal number to open a bank account, receive a salary, arrange medical health insurance and in contacts with the government.


Immigratie- and Naturalisation Service (IND)
Zuiderzeelaan 43-51, Zwolle
+31 (0) 88 043 04 30, ind.nl