document iconRegistration non-resident

Non-residents are people who do not live in the Netherlands or people who reside in the Netherlands for less than 4 months. You must register to get a citizen service number (BSN). The citizen service number is essential for everyone dealing with the Dutch government.


Will you stay 4 months or longer in the Netherlands? Please make an appointment for immigration.

The registration consists of 3 steps.

1. Appointment

Make an appointment >

Are you coming with more than 20 people? Please contact us.

2. Fill in web form

After completing the form you will receive a QR code. Please take this with you to the counter.

Registration form RNI

You may also complete, print and take with you the RNI registration form in PDF.

3. Take to counter

  • Valid passport or ID card.
  • QR code that you received after completing the form (or the completed and printed form)

  • Original birth certificate, drawn up in Dutch, English, French or German. If the deed is in another language, a translation is required. Legalization may also be required.
  • In addition to the minor, at least one parent must also be present at the time of registration.

Inform about change of address

You are required to inform us about your change of address abroad.

How does it work

  1. Print one of the modification forms below, fill it out en sign it.
  2. Make a photo or scan of the completed form.
  3. Send the file and a copy of your passport using our contact form.

Modification forms

What you should know

If you are visiting the Netherlands to work or study, you will need a citizen service number (called Burgerservicenummer - BSN). You will be issued this number when you register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen).

You will need a BSN as an employee, in education, health care. You will also need it for taxes and other matters concerning the Dutch government.

There are 2 ways to register as a non-resident in The Netherlands, depending on your situation:

  • Will you be staying in The Netherlands for less than four months? You have to register with municipality of Groningen or one of 17 other selected municipalities. These are Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven,  Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo, Zwolle.
  • Will you be staying in The Netherlands for more than four months:? You have to register with the municipality where you live or where you are going to live.

More information